Big cities have little to no plants at all. City dwellers tend to be unfamiliar with gardening. But, many people who work as horticulturists. From green roof gardens to colorful window hanging baskets, most city dwellers have greenery all around their place, by doing this they can have a better body and peace of mind. Although there is no definitive definition for urban horticulture, it is usually classified into two categories: container gardening and rooftop gardening.
Recently, urban horticulture has been other than food security. People find comfort in keeping plants in the home and office, improving their emotional and social well-being while reducing stress levels. This may sound silly, but as a result of urban gardening, people are becoming more physically active. Each person receives a specific area where they can grow their plants. The simple act of cultivating a plant on a balcony or sidewalk is a great way to become an active urban gardener.
Growing plants require care and affection. It also requires three basic elements: light, soil and water. Plants can grow without soil and tend to grow larger in a container thanks to innovative solutions. Here, we have provided some tips to improve your modern urban gardening.
- When you select a garden area, you should determine its type, regularly test the soil, its pH level, organic matter and the quality of phosphate and potash available from it.
- Choose the right plants for urban gardening and your location, for example, yucca, petunia, zinnia, and daylily. Because too much or too little sunlight, moisture, and wind can damage your plants.
- Sunlight is vital, so make sure you find a place where the plant can access sunlight for at least 6 a day.
- Fertilizers improve soil structure, promote plant growth, and help the soil retain nutrients for plants. Therefore, using natural fertilizers will help your plant better.
- Growing your plants on the porch, patio or balcony would be the best decision. Planting plants in containers and hanging them in baskets will help them grow and provide an attractive view of your home.
- If soil depth is important, shallow-rooted plants require at least 6 inches of soil depth if they are less than 1 foot high, whereas deep-rooted plants require at least 1-foot soil depth. So keep an eye on the soil depth when planting.
- Make sure you have drainage holes in the plant pot you choose for gardening. This is because the tank needs to have a way to release excess water because the excess water can damage the plant.
- The hydroponics system is a process that involves growing plants without soil. The purpose is to grow plants by providing all the nutrients the plants need through the nutrient solution rather than through the soil. So do not hesitate to implement the hydroponics process.
- Aquaponics is an integrated process of hydroponics and aquaculture. This is a great way to earn a good income, though not all of them follow. So consider that way for your great yield.